Sunday, July 12, 2009

I've started the last large sub-project: building the exterior stud frame. The idea here is to construct a non-structural frame which provides space for insulation as well as windows and door framing.

I started by lag bolting 4x4 beams to the sill plates. This provides a strong and stable ledge upon which the rest of the stud frame can sit. I fear that unless there is a super stable ledge like this, the exterior frame might sag over time.

The studs are on 24" centers. The first part of the exterior frame extends from the 4x4 ledge to a plate which sits at approximately the same height as the tops of the interior 4x7 girts. This wraps around the entire cabin, uninterrupted except at the door opening.



Once the window framing is in place, I will cut out window openings.




It is slow going. Its going to take me several full days to complete this process and do it right. However, I am excited to finally get the window openings framed so that I can cut out the openings and get a lot more light into the cabin!

I will infill the studs with insulation and cover with either 30# roofing felt, Tykvek, or both. I'll place horizontal 1x4 nailer over that and then put up the board and batten siding over that.

Simultaneous to all of this work, I've restored three large picture windows that I salvaged when we performed a house remodel in 2005. This restoration involved scraping glazing and paint, re-glazing the windows, replacing glass panes, and painting the windows. I find window restoration to be miserable work, but I think the old windows will look perfect in this cabin.

2 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cabin looks great! Nice talking at the concert last week. -Jeff

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger mvr said...

This is an interesting way to deal with the tradeoff between wanting to show your fabulous joinery for the structural frame and wanting to insulate. Often timberframers just sheath over the frame and this leaves them with a dilemma about insulation. If you get in a significant amount it might mean also convering the beams. Your approach keeps the insulation on the outside and hence allows you to enjoy the visual benefits of your careful framing. I like that.

I did something in between, since my cabin is small enough that 1.5 inches of foam provides enough insulation to allow the stove to heat it easily and also allows the framing to show inside and out. But your jointery is nicer than mine, I think, at least from the photos here. And your cabin is somewhat larger.

Good work!

Mark

 

Post a Comment

<< Home