Sunday, February 01, 2009

I just completed a second framing pony. This one made with:

4x6 Engelmann Spruce bases and legs
4x7 Wany Ponderosa Pine Top
3x6 American elm braces
1" Locust pegs

I think it turned out nice. I decided to leave the bark on the wany edge of the pine top.



That spruce can have some amazing grain, as shown in leg in the picture below. The light spruce and pine contrast nicely with the locust pegs and the elm braces.





My shop now has 4 framing ponies, which are probably enough:



I love building with mixed species, primarily for the color and grain contrasts between timbers.

1 Comments:

At 6:39 AM, Blogger dp said...

Those are beautiful, almost too nice to use! The ones I made and used were much more utilitarian-looking. Nice job!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home