Saturday, March 01, 2008

Time to seriously tackle the cabin door.

I looked through the rough-cut lumber that I had milled alongside my timbers, and I found some great pieces of Douglas Fir and Tamarack. I will use this hand-harvested lumber for the battens in the door. I ran each batten through the thickness planer and got them down to a consistent thickness of just under 1.5 inches. This is going to be one thick and heavy door!



The next step was to add tongue-and-groove joinery to the variable-width battens. With a little home-made fence on my new router table and a 1/2" router bit, I was in business:



I planed a piece of 1x4 pine down to 0.5" thickness and used it as a guide to set the router bit height on the table. Below, you can see the piece of pine placed temporarily inside of the groove of one of the battens. Snug fit!



Below, you can see a number of joined T&G battens. Only two more to go!



Humidity in the workshop is hovering around 70%. By contrast, the summer humidity around here can be extremely low. I am trying to be mindful of this as the door width will definiately expand and contract with changes in humidity.

Humidity is high enough in the workshop that I am worried that my wrought-iron strap hinges and pintles might start rusting. Below, you can see that I applied a coat of linseed oil to the iron to protect it from rust.



Stay tuned for more. On the door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home