Sunday, June 22, 2008

Yay! I actually got up to the cabin site and started work again. The ground was a bit wet still, but the trusty jeep made it (with a little help from the winch).

The first thing I did was remove all of the stickered rough-cut dimensional lumber that I stored in the cabin all winter. I took that back to the workshop to rip into rough-cut 2x4s for the exterior frame. I might have just enough rough-cut wood that I can avoid buying any 2x4s for the exterior frame!

A little aside: so much of this project has involved moving wood around. Moving it from one pile to another. Sorting timbers and lumber. Hauling it here and there. It always takes so much time. I never would have guessed the building something like this involved so much banal wood moving. This little project would make a good study in embodied energy.

I removed the 1/2" plywood temporary floor, exposing the 2x8 joists, and letting a nice breeze and a little light in from under the cabin:








Here is a closeup of my "hybrid" joist system: a mortise/tenon + metal joist hanger. I think it worked out well.



As seen below, I started screwing my 2x2 rough-cut furring strips to the bottom of every joist. This goes relatively quickly:



I laid my OSB panels on top of the furring strips and screwed them down. As with many parts of this project, I pre-cut the OSB strips in my workshop based on my SketchUp CAD drawings. The panels fit like a glove, yet the extra-wide strips give me some room for error if I need it.



I got about halfway done before my battery-powered drill/screwdriver died:



I am going to fill any cracks between panels and joists with an expanding insulating foam to help keep out drafts and bugs. Then, I will lay the UltraTouch insulation batts down between the joists. I will cover this with a 1/2" plywood "subfloor", vapor barrier, and then my gorgeous goat floor!

2 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

I am really enjoying your blog! I am learning a great deal. I am unclear on one thing, why did you put the 2x2 strips and then the OSB down in this manner and not just one solid sheet underneath? Not being critical just interested in your methods. Keep up the great work.

Wade

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger neuwave said...

Wade,

I had thought about screwing 4x8 sheets of OSB underneath and up into the bottoms of the joists. That probably would have worked okay, but I had a couple concerns:

1) crawling underneath the cabin and trying to position 4x8 sheets of OSB by myself sounded hard. Laying them in thinner strips from the top was easier for one person to handle.

2) I figured that it would help fight the long term effects of gravity a bit better than nailing or even screwing it as big sheets from the underside. I figured that eventually the nails or even screws might pull out. If I attached from the underside, I probably could have also used adhesive (e.g. Liquid Nails) in addition to screws to add extra strength.

Also, I can walk on top of this OSB without fear. I am not sure I would walk on this if the OSB was attached purely from the underside.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home