Friday, February 02, 2007

I've been brainstorming some joinery possibilities for connecting the common rafters on the shed (lean-to) to the top plate. I put them all into one example. I think the tusk tenon is the winning candidate at this point. In the first picture, I've widened the top plate from a 7x9 to a 10x9 to better accomodate the rafter joinery. While this might not be necessary, I could enlarge this plate...and this shows how that would look.

NOTE: The last picture shows the most recent revision, which is much more simplified. I believe it solves a lot of obvious problems with first designs.









1 Comments:

At 3:37 PM, Blogger Nils Peterson said...

boy, those joints will be a pain in the butt to make. And that post tenon has a peg hole, but its not clear how to get the peg in with that lower rafter right there.

Do you have to resist lateral motion with these rafters, or can they just lay into housings?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home