Monday, January 08, 2007

I recently used Google SketchUp for the first time. It is a tremendously powerful, free, and easy-to-use CAD system to model the cabin design. I was able to master the software within an hour or so.




After really staring at the basic cabin design for awhile, I decided that the cabin really needed a porch of some kind. We have an 8x12 covered/screened porch on our house here in Moscow, and we really enjoy that space, especially in the summer. I think some kind of outside porch is critical to the value of a cabin like this. Someplace to sit and drink a cup of tea in the shade, leave snowy boots, or just listen to the night. I have visions of being up at the cabin in the rain, and sitting on the porch enjoying the rainfall while also being outside and staying warm and dry...



Anyway, I've been toying with how to add a roof and a porch to the cabin. With these images, you can see the working design. I do believe that I've finally settled on a complete design (as shown in the first picture).



I need to work out some of the joinery details, but I think that this design is essentially complete.



NOTE: For perspective on scale, the man in the drawing is approximately 6' tall, and the bench on the porch is approximately 6' long.











4 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Blogger Nils Peterson said...

I have some problems with the design.

The braces going out from the posts to the eves are going to cause grief and are not needed structurally

Also, the porch has no lateral bracing, and since you don't seem to be indicating an infill wall, its likely to be wobbly.

I'd also like to see better how you are going to bring the roof rafters down to the plate and also spring to porch rafters at a different pitch. A cross section detail of this joint would be informative.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger neuwave said...

Hey Nils --

Thanks for your feedback.

I've already decided to remove the braces coming out from the posts to the eves. I agree that they are not needed, and Peter pointed out that it might direct moisture down to the frame.

I hadn't thought about laterally bracing the porch. I will play around with ways to do that.

AH! Figuring out a way to attach the porch rafters to the top plate is keeping me up at night. My current idea is to join the principal roof rafters to the top plate with a shouldered bird's mouth joint. The rafters would be joined on the side of the top plate with an angled, shouldered dovetail. I could even make the top plate wider to make this "easier" and allow sufficient meat in the top plate such that it won't significantly effect its strength. I will sketch up a cross section of that joint soon.

-Luke

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Lukie, The cabin will be a reality one day!

I love you ....
Momma

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home